sIFR and CWS

May 5, 2009 at 10:10 PM
I have one suggestion regarding CWS:

Consider the possibility to make the sIFR stuff an optional addon package to CWS.

sIFR is really cool, and very useful att times, and CWS perfectly demonstrates how it can be integrated with umbraco. 

Still sIFR does adds an extra layer of complexity for the users - most of them being completely new to umbraco, and maybe even to creating web sites in any form. 

My opinion it that the sIFR stuff distracts and probably even confuses the newbie trying to grasp the core umbraco concepts and apply his/hers, maybe newfound, skills in HTML and CSS to the umbraco world.

CWS is a great package. Dissecting CWS is on of the the best and fastest way to learn to build web sites using umbraco. But learning umbraco from it would be even easier if the sIFR stuff was not there by default. 

A layout without sIFR should be the default skin for CWS in my opinion.
May 6, 2009 at 12:50 PM
Hi Daniel,

So after all, there is someone who shares same comments with me about sIFR stuff.

http://umbracocws.codeplex.com/Thread/View.aspx?ThreadId=49563

I read about sIFR, and I cannot the cost vs. benefit could be justified.

Tarek.
Coordinator
May 6, 2009 at 4:57 PM
Hey Daniel & Tarek I originally included sIFR in my original CWS package and I still think it is one of the best ways to get dynamic text using a custom font without using images, hence this is why I have included.

I can see your point of view that it may distract take away from the learning process of Umbraco, but at this time I dont think its going to hurt to have it included for now.

If you want help disabling it please let me know and I can tell you how to do this.

Warren