Comments about the new CWS2.

Mar 5, 2009 at 8:07 AM
Excellent job ! Thank you Warren for the new package.

Here are my comments:

1. In order to install the new CWS, I had to remove all existing references in - I think - the Template node in settings, otherwise I was getting duplicate error from ASP.NET in Dictionary Item or something like that. Mind you that I uninstalled the old CWS and Runway packages. Every time I delete the duplicate item, I try to re-install, I get again same error, but for different item name. Then, only when I figured out all the Dictionary Items that are installed by CWS2, then I was able to install it successfully. It was really a tough job. It required me to repeat the installation about 10 times.

It seems that the un-install is not deleting all installed elements in all sections/nodes in Umbraco back-office.

Why not force override for existing items during new install ? Or give it as an option before install ? or have Umbraco report a friendly error message ?

Also, you may want to think about forcing each developer to choose a 3 or 4 code prefix to attach to all the names of the elements Umbraco Package, to avoid conflict. Or at least, encourage developers to adopt a consistent naming convention.

2. I was able to install both CWS2 and Blog Packages side-by-side ---- not problem what so ever.

3. After install of CWS2, I go to Content Section, I click on the root node "Content", I get the following warning message on the right side, in a properly formatted way:

Warning

The contact_form_log.xml file does not containt any logs or does not exist.

Name:
Address Line 1:
Address Line 2:
Email:
This is the first time I get such a message, and not sure what does it mean.

My question: Is this coming from Umbraco or from CWS2 ?

4. The background color is black, and I looks a bit comfortable to some people. I hope you could consider changing this color. I removed the black color from CSS, and it did not look nice either, and I really do not know what is the best alternative background color, taking into consideration the overall coloring scheme.

Tarek.
Coordinator
Mar 5, 2009 at 8:21 AM
Hello Tarek,
Thank you for your feedback it is most appreciated.

1.Yes unfortunately there are some conflicts with Runway and other packages thats why in the README of the package before installation I say that CWS2 MUST be installed on an clean/empty installation of Umbraco, as i'm not 100% sure uninstall is working as it should be.

2. Cool to hear that.

3. This is perfectly fine and normal and will be fulyl explained in the documenation. But to clear things up bascially when someone fills out the contact or email a friend form on the site it will create a record in an XML file. So as no one has filled in your form the XML file has not been created at /data/contact_form_log.xml yet. When someone fills it out it will work.

4. This is not black but a very dark grey close to black. I am sorry to hear some people don't like it but I personally think it is OK :) Unfortunately I am not a designer so I can't recommend a new hex colour for you to try. Ask someon who is a designer to help you with this.

Thanks,
Warren

Mar 5, 2009 at 8:35 AM
As a matter of fact, the CWS2 coloring scheme is perfect for a Music shop.

Can you tell me please how I can change the Gallery to use Ajax Effect. I am absolutely sure that I saw Ajax Effect in a Photo Gallery in one Package I installed before in Umbraco, but not sure where, was it Boost or Runway ? But Runway Photo Gallery package did not install last time, because I installed CWS1 before.

Your help will be appreciated.

Regards ...

Tarek.
Mar 5, 2009 at 8:46 AM
WARANING:

I just found out now that due to repeating the installation of CWS2 several times due to conflict with other items elsewhere, I found out that nearly all macros installed by CWS2 are duplicated exactly 10 times.

Also, under installed pacakges, Developer Section, the CWS2 appears twice.

Oh my God ... I have now to spend time to delete them one by one ....!

But, very strange, the CWS2 is working fine.

Some effert is needed to prevent this effect from happening.

Tarek.
Coordinator
Mar 5, 2009 at 10:16 AM

Why would you want to reinstall it if it’s already installed. In my package code I currently do that check and would  most likely require a change to the umbraco core code.

Warren

Sent: 05 March 2009 09:46
To: Warren Buckley
Subject: Re: Comments about the new CWS2. [umbracocws:49257]

WARANING:

I just found out now that due to repeating the installation of CWS2 several times due to conflict with other items elsewhere, I found out that nearly all macros installed by CWS2 are duplicated exactly 10 times.

Also, under installed pacakges, Developer Section, the CWS2 appears twice.

Oh my God ... I have now to spend time to delete them one by one ....!

But, very strange, the CWS2 is working fine.

Some effert is needed to prevent this effect from happening.

Tarek.

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (umbracocws@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email umbracocws@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Mar 5, 2009 at 4:25 PM
Dear Warren,

I am afraind that I did not clarify what happened exactly.

Here are the steps:

1. Uninsulated all Runway packages and the old CWS package,

2. Installed the new CWS2 ====> CRASHED due to duplication error in some item name in the Template node (I think).

but apparently, some items were installed successfully elsewhere like under the macro Node !

3. In a new IE Window, checked the Template Node, and found some duplication, so I deleted them manually,

4. Went back the package installation window, and press "Refresh" ====> CRASHED due to duplication error in some item name in the Template node (I think).

but apparently, some items were reinstalled again successfully elsewhere like under the macro Node ! which means they got duplicated.

5. Repeated Step 3 and 4 above, until I identified all the Templates installed by CWS2, and deleted them all manually.

===> SUCCESS and eventually, the CWS2 was installed.

6. I checked the Macro node, and found 10 duplicate of nearly all macros installed by CWS2.

click here to see the screen snapshot.

I hope this clarifies what happened.

Tarek.