Email a friend feature: strCheck: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

Feb 27, 2009 at 8:58 AM
Hi,

I have just installed Umbraco and am playing around with CWW.

I get the following error when trying to use the "Email a friend feature": Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

I have been able to check that the user control ("EmailAFriend.ascx") is getting the id right and have found out that the issue lies in the QueryForNode method call.

strCheck = umbraco.library.QueryForNode(strID)

Any idea of what could be going wrong?

Any suggestion or help would be appreciated.

Al
Coordinator
Feb 28, 2009 at 8:41 AM

Hi Al,

I about to push out a public beta of CWS2 next week which may help you, but if you still would like me to look into this problem please let me know.

Thanks,
Warren

Sent: 27 February 2009 09:59
To: Warren Buckley
Subject: Email a friend feature: strCheck: Object reference not set to an instance of an object [umbracowebsitewizard:48708]

Hi,

I have just installed Umbraco and am playing around with CWW.

I get the following error when trying to use the "Email a friend feature": Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

I have been able to check that the user control ("EmailAFriend.ascx") is getting the id right and have found out that the issue lies in the QueryForNode method call.

Any idea of what could be going wrong?

Any suggestion or help would be appreciated.

Al

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (umbracowebsitewizard@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email umbracowebsitewizard@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Feb 28, 2009 at 12:27 PM
Hi Warren,

Thanks for the prompt answer!

I would greatly appreciate it if you could help me solve this issue.

Al
Coordinator
Mar 2, 2009 at 7:21 AM
Hiya Al.
What version of the package are you using and what version of umbraco are you using please?

For the time being I recommend you attach to process and Debug the usercontrol at the moment.
http://www.nibble.be/?p=26

Warren
Mar 2, 2009 at 7:58 AM
Hi Warren,

I'm using the latest version of Umbraco (4.0.0) and the latest version of the package (0.9.9). We're talking about a clean install here.

The part of the code that seems to bug is the following:

I started receiving this error after I unpublished the Creative Website Package, published Runway and then published CWP back again.

Thanks.

Al
Coordinator
Mar 2, 2009 at 8:06 AM

Hello Al.

I would highly recommend to empty the DB and start installing umbraco again I’m afraid. AS CWS is designed to be installed in a fresh clean install of umbraco WITHOUT Runway installed as there could be some kind of conflicts.

The umbraco.library.QueryForNode call should work fine as I am using it in the NEW CWS2.

By the end of the week at the latest I plan to push out the NEW CWS2 !

If you prefer you could comment the check for the node to see if it exists if you prefer as a temporary solution as I don’t have the time to look at this at the moment.

Warren

Sent: 02 March 2009 08:58
To: Warren Buckley
Subject: Re: Email a friend feature: strCheck: Object reference not set to an instance of an object [umbracowebsitewizard:48708]

Hi Warren,

I'm using the latest version of Umbraco (4.0.0) and the latest version of the package (0.9.9). We're talking about a clean install here.

The part of the code that seems to bug is the following:

I started receiving this error after I unpublished the Creative Website Package, published Runway and then published CWP back again.

Thanks.

Al

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (umbracowebsitewizard@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email umbracowebsitewizard@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Coordinator
Mar 2, 2009 at 8:10 AM
Edited Mar 2, 2009 at 8:15 AM
Hello Al.

I would highly recommend to empty the DB and start installing umbraco again I’m afraid. AS CWS is designed to be installed in a fresh clean install of umbraco WITHOUT Runway installed as there could be some kind of conflicts.

The umbraco.library.QueryForNode call should work fine as I am using it in the NEW CWS2.

By the end of the week at the latest I plan to push out the NEW CWS2 !

If you prefer you could comment the check for the node to see if it exists if you prefer as a temporary solution as I don’t have the time to look at this at the moment.

Warren
Mar 2, 2009 at 1:35 PM
Hi Warren,

Thanks anyways!

I'll give CWS2  a shot when it's out.

Cheers,

Al