Master Template Logo

Mar 2, 2010 at 1:11 AM

Alright, I am asking in last resort.  I am trying to learn Umbraco (I have an actual site on Umbraco I'd like to work with but don't want to screw it up).

So I download CWS and install it.  Awesome I have a template all ready.  I can change things around ok, but for the life of me I am not able to change the Logo (it now says "Your Logo/Name").  I tried and tried all the forums but I failed.  I hate to frustrate people because of my ignorance so I try it on my own, but this time I give up.

Can someone help me please?  I even tried that Amasis_MT.swf which I don't understand at all because I saw that in the source code... in vain.

Thank you in advance. Merci d'avance.

Christophe

Coordinator
Mar 2, 2010 at 7:33 AM

Hello Christophe,

Sorry to hear you have been having problems with CWS. The only forums I actively follow are the deciated forums for my package on http://our.umbraco.org/projects/creative-website-starter-%28cws%29 and here on CodePlex

The logo is just HTML text that is being parsed using the flash text replacment technique called sIFR - http://wiki.novemberborn.net/sifr/

If you simply wish just to update the text being displayed you can do it one of two ways:

1. Open the Master template (CWS_Master.master) in Umbraco or Visual Studio and change this snippet
    <h1 class="flashheader left">
    <a href="/" title="&laquo; Back to home">
    <umbraco:Item field="siteName" recursive="true" runat="server"></umbraco:Item>
    </a>
    </h1>

to

<h1 class="flashheader left">
    <a href="/" title="&laquo; Back to home">
    My new logo text here
    </a>
    </h1>

2. As you can see in the original snippet we are using the umbraco property field name called siteName so if you login to Umbraco and click on the home node, you will see the text Your Logo/Name simply change the text here and press the save & publish button and the text will automatically update.

If you wish to remove the sIFR text then just remove the CSS class flashHeader from the <h1> text and this will then just display the text as normal HTML text.

I hope this has helped you, if not feel free to ask some more questions.

Warren :)

Mar 2, 2010 at 4:35 PM

Thank you for your response Warren. Sorry I seemed frustrated, I wanted to figure it out on my own.

So I was banging my head trying to figure how I could incorporate an actual logo (.png) instead of just replacing the text).  Now I get it, if I want to add a log, all I have to get rid of the flashHeader (which contains the font from sIFR if I understand well) and insert html that tells where to get the logo image.

Another question. Is there info anywhere to show (for beginners) how to replace the template.  I stumbled upon the CMS (codeplex) and wanted to see how it looks. Maybe there is also a tutorial on what every component of Umbraco is and how they work together.

Thanks again.

Christophe